Friday, March 30, 2012

FBFF for March 30th: One Time and One Time Only


Today’s FBFF questions deal with the ‘the one-time use phenomenon.”  Apparently, there have been quite a few posts around the blogosphere lately about only wearing something once and how a lot of bloggers are accused of this.  I had no idea this was even a thing, but do find both the phenomenon and the accusations interesting, so I’m pretty excited Katy Rose chose this as our top of discussion this week.  As always, my answers to the questions are below.

Are you a one-time wearer?

The short answer to this question is, sometimes, but never on purpose. 

The long answer is that because I thrift a lot of my clothes, I have a tendency to take chances with items of clothing that I wouldn’t buy if they were more than $5.00.  I try to wear everything I thrift at least once, but there are items I just can’t quite get to work for me that, after wearing once, get recycled to the thrift store or to friends.

Non-thrifted items are expected to work a lot harder in my closet given the fact that I (generally) spend more on them than thrifted items.  That’s not to say that I don’t have some pieces that work more than others.  For example, I wear my riding boots with greater regularity than my animal print wedge booties, but I’ve still worn the booties more than once.

Born Crown "Sosie" Boots


80%20 Animal Print Wedge Booties

Do you feel the need to purchase something new for an evening out or a special event?

Not to sound like a broken record, but the short answer to this question is also sometimes.

I have quite a few party dresses, many of them vintage, but I don’t always feel they’re right for an occasion.  I’d rather not buy something new for special events because those items often end up being ones that are only worn once, but, I like to be comfortable in what I’m wearing.  If I don’t feel like my outfit fits the occasion and the way I want to look that day, then I will look for something new.  I’m usually able to work with what I have though.

Re-mixing is something a lot of bloggers are proud of being able to accomplish - are you a re-mixing pro or do you shy away from posting items frequently? Why?

I’d say I’m semi-pro in terms of remixing.  I’m in the farm leagues, just waiting for the Yankees to take notice of my mad skills.  Really though, I do remix a lot of my clothes but don’t consider myself a pro because all of the outfits I create with an item often have a similar feel.  They’re different outfits, but they are often the same style; which I just realized isn’t necessarily bad because they’re all my style.

I, however, do shy away from wearing, and posting, items re-mixed too close together.  I usually try not to wear the same skirt, or blazer, or blouse in back-to-back weeks, but that doesn't always work out.  For example, I wore this mauve skirt last Wednesday and this Wednesday:

Last Wednesday with butterscotch

This Wednesday with more mauve

Shoes I couldn’t care less about; I’ll wear the same pair of shoes three times a week without any qualms (see Born Crown riding boots above). 

I also try not to wear the exact same outfit as I’ve worn before; I mean with every piece exactly the same.  At least that was true for my first year of blogging.  This year I think I might re-wear some of my favorite outfits, especially those from last year, because I hate to deprive myself of being happy and comfortable in my clothes just because I’ve already worn something once.  Also, sometimes I wake up late and it’d just be easier to recycle an outfit instead of racking my poor, tired brain to come up with something new.

Do you have a clothing budget or are you an impulse buyer?

A little of both.  I don’t have a clothing budget, per se, but I do plan what I’d like to buy for a season.  For every spring/summer and fall/winter, I write a list of what I perceive as holes in my closet.  The list contains anything from trends I’d like to try, like color-blocked pumps, to classics that I just don’t have, like a white dress.  These are items that I surf the web for periodically and specifically look for in brick-and-mortar stores.

That being said, I am also an impulse shopper, especially at thrift stores.  Most of the items that I thrift are not on my lists, but are just items that I think I might be able to do something with.  Or that it might be fun to try doing something with. 

Do you find yourself bored when reading a blog in which clothing items are often remixed and appear frequently?

No, not at all.  But, then again, I’m not sure I’d notice.  I don’t track what anyone else wears that closely.  If I do notice, it’s probably because it’s a piece I love on them and I’m happy to see it again.  At the very least, it’s probably a piece they love on themselves and who wouldn’t be happy to see someone wear what they love?

Want to read more on this topic?  Visit Katy Rose at Modly Chic for links to all the participants.

And have a wonderful weekend!

Gracey