Monday, March 26, 2012

Animal and Floral

After a long weekend spent thrifting (of course), sleeping (my favorite) and watching movies (Never Let Me Go (depressing, just like the book) and Hunger Games (more below)), I had to come back to work today.  I wore these clothes:



I don’t know why, but in my mind there are few things that go better together than animal print and floral.  Maybe because the combination is a bit jungle-y and jungle-y is totally a thing?  I don’t know, but I do love to pair the two.  Today’s pairing is a floral silk blouse (vintage, thrifted) layered under an animal print cardigan (Target).  I belted it with my owl belt (Ross) and added a black skirt (Calvin Klein via Ideeli), patterned tights (Assets via Target) and black booties (BC Footwear “Swear”).

Happily, I think I may be able to go without tights fairly soon.  Friday and Saturday were both gorgeous, yesterday was a bit chilly and rainy, but today isn’t too bad.  It’s not that I don’t love tights; I do, that’s why I have so many pairs.  But, I’m definitely ready to be done with them.

Now, back to The Hunger Games; I thought it was great, not because it followed the book exceptionally closely, but because the filmmakers were so smart in the imagery they used, especially when showing the outlying districts.  District 12 was practically Depression-era America, right down to the clothes.  And I found the Reaping registration to be evocative of the registration of several groups from Communist China to Nazi Germany to WWII-era America.  I felt that these images, along with the colorless clothes of the outlying districts compared to the colorful and over-the-top outfits of the Capitol served the filmmakers very well in making their point.

Did anyone else watch the movie this weekend?  If so, what did you think?

Happy Monday, All!

Gracey