Saturday, December 10, 2011

Reader Question: I Have Big Calves and I Cannot Lie

Okay, I am lying.  I do not, in fact, have big calves.  What I have are giant, feisty, often militant thighs the likes of which haven’t been seen since the Venus of Willendorf:

Isn't she lovely?

But, this isn’t about me.  New reader, Cathy (Hi, Cathy!), sent me a question the other day regarding good sources for wide-calf boots.  Now just because I don’t have wide calves, doesn’t mean I don’t have my sources.  I do.  They just happen to be my dear friends Erin, of Plus Sized Curves Ahead and Kelsey, of Charming Pumpkin.

Both of these women have self-admitted large calves.  In fact, Kelsey’s calves and my thighs frequently hold summits on how best to take over neighboring countries.  And, both of these women have successfully found and styled (rather well, I might add) wide calf boots.


So cute, right?  But, where did they get those fabulous boots?  Erin’s are Viva La Diva from Simply Be and you can read more about them here.  And Kelsey’s are Abound from Nordstrom Rack.  Kelsey also recommends the following:  Avenue Wide Calf Boots, Evans, Lane Bryant and Duo Boots.  To that list, I’d add WideWidths.com, Nordstrom and Cougar Boots.  You can see a review on Cougar Boots at 260 Days, No Repeats and also see how Iris styled her Cougars.

Booties are also a good option for women with wide calves.  Booties that come to just below the ankle bone are probably your best bet.  It allows you to maintain the shapeliness of your gorgeous legs.  If you go just above the ankle bone, compensate with a little shorter skirt – just above the knee is perfect.  And a trick I just learned today, from my gorgeous, wide-calved friend Jodee, is to buy "slouchy" boots.  The shafts of slouchy boots are usually cut more generously, so while they may not slouch on you, there is a good chance they'll fit your wider calves.

How about you folks?  Anybody have any good sources for wide calf boots that I might have missed?  Let me know in the comments!

Also, speaking of boots, did you know that the current monocle theme on Go Chic or Go Home is Boots?  Don’t know what I’m talking about?  Find out more and enter my $50.00 gift card giveaway here.  And hurry, the giveaway closes at midnight tomorrow!

Happy Saturday, All!  I hope you’re all having wonderful weekends!

Gracey