Friday, December 2, 2011

I Made This Sweater

…into a cardigan.  Of course I didn’t make the sweater, that's pure lunacy.  Jones New York made the sweater.  But, I did make it into a cardigan:



I thrifted the sweater because of its vaguely Southwestern motif which is on trend for fall (“Southwestern” I mean, not “Vaguely Southwestern” although if the trend were “Vaguely Southwestern” it would be sort of awesome, right?) and because I thought I could make it work.  I couldn’t.  Between the cut (boxy) and the fringe (fringe-y) it wasn’t working for me.  So I decided to try to refashion it into a cardigan.  And it was really easy.  I just cut the sweater down the front, folded the raw edges under and zigzag stitched each side.  

And, frankly, I think it’s an improvement.  I feel like I’ve taken the sweater from being boxy and dated to being kitschy and amusing.  And if you follow my blog, you know I love the kitsch and I love to laugh.  In keeping with the vaguely Southwestern theme (and the kitsch), I paired the “cardigan” (Jones New York Sport, thrifted) with a chambray tunic (Old Navy), riding leggings (Vince Camuto via Nordstrom), riding boots (Born Crown “Sosie” via Nordstrom), a turquoise beaded necklace (rummaged) and silver and turquoise earrings (Mom-ed).

The earrings:


In closing, I'd like to say the following: one, please forgive the wrinkles.  It was just that type of day.  Two, making a cardigan out of a sweater is super easy; you should try it.  Three, Happy Friday, Everyone.  And four, of course, is..

Have a marvelous weekend, folks!

Gracey