Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Accidental Outfit (Or, Avoiding a Thigh-Coup)

This outfit was an accident:


Now, you’re probably thinking “Gracey, this outfit looks fine; you didn’t need to tell us it was an accident.”  But, here’s the deal; you all know we’re big on transparency here at Fashion for Giants.  However, what you may not know is that that transparency is necessary to prevent a thigh-coup.  Now, thigh-coup may rhyme with haiku, but it would be a mistake to assume it’s anything as lovely.  No, a thigh-coup is actually when my crazy militant thighs attempt to take over the current government (me).  In an attempt to avoid this, my current government practices transparency as much as possible.

And, to that end, I have to admit that I didn’t plan this outfit this morning.  The outfit I planned during my cough-riddled half-sleep had a lot of color, some complicated layering and possibly fur.  But, when I woke up this morning and faced my piles of clothes – all clean but none put away due to my cold and my natural laziness – I saw this dress lying next to this sweater:


And it appeared to me, in my head-cold-haze, to be a match made in heaven.  The navy and blue polka dot dress (vintage Karin Stevens, thrifted) pairs surprisingly well with the peacock-colored cardigan (a.n.a via JC Penney).  I also added a thin belt (Gap) to define the waist, riding boots (Born Crown “Sosie” via Nordstrom) because they go with darn near everything, a watch and a vintage bracelet (gifted). And there you have it; an accidental outfit is born.

So, yes, while I’d like to pretend I spend hours selecting outfits that demonstrate that I do, in fact, know how to dress my giant self, I can’t.  My thighs are watching and if they think I’m being less than honest, they’ll ally with my hips and attempt a thigh-coup.  They’re bossy like that.

Happy Thursday, All!  Here's hoping it's free from thigh-coups and hip-juntas!

Gracey