Wednesday, December 14, 2011

That 70s Sensibility

Lately I’ve felt like my clothes have reflected a 70s sensibility that I didn’t even know that I had.  This outfit is no exception:



I’m wearing flared, pin-tucked jeans (Gap), a bow blouse (Gap) in a decidedly 70s color and platform booties (Nine West via TJ Maxx).  Even the sweater feels a little bit 70s to me with the color combination and the belled sleeves.

The funny thing is that it’s not like I’m nostalgic for the 70s – I’m too young to remember any of it.  But, I’ve realized that the 70s aesthetic is perfect for my current lifestyle.  I’m not talking about the disco 70s (although I do love a jumpsuit), but the more practical but still ladylike 70s. 

I bike to work every day which means that I need practical clothes that allow me to move with ease.  At the same time though, I have an impractical streak a mile wide in that I like to ride my bike in high heels and pretty things.  Dressing in the 70s style of easy, moveable fabrics (double-knit may be ugly, but you can’t say it didn’t allow you to move), longer skirts, high waists and tall boots allows me to be both practical and feminine.

Which isn’t to say that I always dress with a nod to the 70s; I don’t.  And I don’t go full 70s with an outfit – if I do have vintage pieces from the era, I mix them with modern pieces to keep if from being costumey.  I think both of these things are important to keep from getting in a rut and to keep that rut from being daily trips from the 70s in your time machine.

How about you, Dear Readers?  Do you have an aesthetic from the past that appeals to you?  And how dedicated to that aesthetic are you?

Happy Wednesday, All!

Gracey