Friday, November 18, 2011

Pleats and Plaid

Alternately titled: More Things That Go with Orange

I think I’m breaking one of the cardinal rules of style blogging in that I’m wearing the same scarf I wore yesterday again today:



But, hey, is it my fault that orange goes with everything?  Of course not; I’m just taking advantage of that fact (yes, Erin, it’s a fact) by pairing my favorite scarf with everything I possibly can.  Today I paired the scarf (Nordstrom) with a handmade pleated plaid skirt (vintage, thrifted), gray wool sweater (thrifted), tights (Spanx via Nordstrom) and what are apparently my new favorite booties (Nine West via TJ Maxx).

It has gotten very, very cold here in Oregon lately causing me to shift my aesthetic more towards function over form.  I generally try to maintain both in my outfits, but during the winter, the weather forces me to become increasingly practical.  For example, wool sweaters and cashmere scarves help keep me warm during my freezing bike commute.  And the tights both help to keep me warm, but also dry quickly if I have to ride my bike in the rain.  Which, this being Oregon, I usually have to ride my bike in the rain.

How about you, Dear Readers?  Does the cold weather increase the functionality of your outfits, or are you still all about form?

Happy Friday, Everyone!  And have a fabulous weekend!

Gracey