Thursday, April 12, 2012

It’s Pretty, It’s Just Not Good for Bike Riding


It is almost impossible to ride a bike in a pencil skirt.  Scratch that.  It’s almost impossible to mount, ride or dismount a bike gracefully in a pencil skirt.  I know this.  I’ve been riding my bike for a couple of years now and have a pretty good idea of what works.  Pencil skirts don’t work.

However, I sometimes just feel like wearing them anyway.  Today was one of those times:



I thought I could get away with it because this skirt isn't as fitted as some pencil skirts.  I was wrong.  I think the combination of the skirt and the wedges was just too much to handle.  I made it without incident, but trust me, it was not pretty.

The skirt though ispretty.  It’s just not good for bike riding.  I still love it though – cobalt is one of my favorite colors and I like the added color of the embroidery.  I actually created this skirt from a vintage Guatemalan dress that was damaged on top.  And by created, I mean I just cut off the top and added some elastic.  

Why, yes, I do have mad sewing skills.  Thanks for noticing.

I paired the skirt (rummage-saled) with a striped tee (J. Crew), wedge sandals (Corso Como via Piperlime), an oxidized-buckle belt (thrifted), bangles (Nordstrom & thrifted) & a necklace from my blogger-friend, Erin (thanks, Erin!).

To recap: Pencil skirts are not good for bike riding, I like cobalt, a lot, and I have secretly amazing sewing skills.  Oh, andI’m linking up to Thursday’s are for Thrifters.

Happy Thursday, All!

Gracey