Thursday, November 8, 2012

Just Add Elephants



Absolutely no one, ever, has asked me for advice on how to wear head-to-toe black without it looking too severe or boring.  But, if they had, my answer would have been to just add elephants:



Corso Como "Lexy" - image via Nordstrom.com

Or any cute, graphic print; polka dots, wombats, whatever floats your boat.  This elephant skirt definitely floats my boat and makes this one of my favorite outfits, in spite of its lack of color.  

In addition to the pleated, elephantastic skirt (vintage Campus Casuals via Vintage by the Pound), I also wore a cashmere sweater (Nordstrom) layered over a lace-trim cami (Old Navy).  I finished the look with tights (SPANX Tight-End Tights via Nordstrom), a faux-croc belt (Macy’s) and wedge booties (Corso Como “Lexy” via Nordstrom).

If you’re not a fan of prints (I understand there are some of you out there), another way to liven up a black outfit is to mix textures.  For this look, I paired chiffon with cashmere, faux-croc, leather, lace, and whatever it is tights are made out of (Lycra?  I think Lycra).  Even if the skirt weren’t printed with tiny little elephants of joy, the different textures would still add interest and keep the outfit from looking flat.

But, really, your best bet is to just add elephants; they make everything better.

Happy Thursday, All!

Gracey


Shop the Look: 

I could not find an elephant print skirt anywhere on the internet, but I did find this cute, elephant print blouse
black cashmere sweater
Spanx Tight End Tights
Corso Como "Lexy" booties (on sale now at Nordstrom)
similar belt

** Disclosure: Actions taken from the hyperlinks in this blog post may yield commission/compensation for the writer. Please see the Disclosure tab for more details.