Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Earl of Houndstooth

This is houndstooth:


So named because it was created by and for the Earl of Houndstooth for use in the livery worn by the servants in Houndstooth Manor. 

Okay, so that’s not true.  Near as I can tell, houndstooth got it’s name from the fact that the tessellations fit together similarly to how a hound’s teeth fit together.

These are a hound's teeth:


And yes, I can see how houndstooth resembles a hound's teeth, but I still like my story better.  Mostly because I didn’t want to title my post “Looks Like a Dog’s Mouth,” for what I think are obvious reasons.  Even though the true origin of the pattern is rather inglorious, I am a fan of houndstooth.  Mostly in the form of skirts, such as the one I’m wearing today:



This particular skirt would probably actually be called puppytooth (it’s a real thing, trust me), because of the small scale of the pattern, and is handmade vintage (thrifted).  I paired it with an emerald silk blouse (Oscar de la Renta, thrifted (for $2!!)), tights (Spanx), wedge booties (Nine West “Peekaboo” via Piperlime) and a black glass necklace (Juicy Couture via Nordstrom).

Today’s Takeaway: If you’re not a fan of the large-scale houndstooth from this fall and winter, look for a smaller-scale puppytooth piece; it’s more subtle and easier to work with.

Happy Thursday, Everyone!  And because today is Thursday, make sure you check out or link up with Spunky Chateau's Thursday's are for Thrifters Link Party!

Gracey