Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Girls Night Out: Feathers and Fire



On Sunday night, I went to dinner and a pole dancing exhibition with my friends, Jodi and Erica, for the first part of my birthday celebration.*  I wore feathers:

Thrifted top, Juicy Couture necklace & Gap blazer.


And watched stuff get lit on fire at El Gaucho: 

Flaming sword of meat.


FIRE!!

Bananas Foster in the making


But, let’s get back to the feathers.  Although you can’t see it very well in the photo above, I wore a feathered headband fascinator from Dorfman Pacific:

Image via Hartford York


When I was offered a chance to try one of these fascinators, I was a little worried I wouldn’t have any place to wear it.  And that I wouldn’t know how to style it.  But, a fire-filled dinner and a Christmas-themed pole dancing show seemed like the perfect place to wear it; and I paired it with more casual pieces, like jeans and a blazer, so that it still felt like me.

Thinking about a fascinator for yourself?  Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
Feathers!
It was very comfortable.
It stayed in place even as I demonstrated some very vigorous booty-shaking to my friends.
Feathers!

Cons:
Not the best thing to wear in a windstorm.
You have to pay attention to overhead clearance; especially if you’re already tall.
Your friends may mistake your feathers as someone eavesdropping on your conversations.
Your cat will try to eat it.

As you can see, the pros far outweigh the cons, so I strongly recommend fascinators for everyone.  And I recommend the Dorfman Pacific fascinator.  They have all sorts of different types, from the simple yet effective model I wore, to those with full on veils and silk flowers.  If you are interested in a Dorfman Pacific fascinator, you can find them here, at Hartford York.

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

Gracey

*Little known fact, tall people celebrate their birthdays for at least three days.