Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Literary Stylings #1: Auntie Mame

Hello, hello, hello!  Welcome to my first ever Literary Stylings post and Link Party.  Today, I am posting an outfit inspired by the book, Auntie Mame, by Patrick Dennis.

I can't remember how old I was when I first saw the movie, Auntie Mame, but I absolutely adored it, and Mame, from the very beginning.  I actually didn't even know that it was a book until a few weeks ago when I was wandering through my favorite used book store and stumbled upon a copy.  The book turned out to be as much of a delight as the movie was and I fell in love with Mame all over again.

Today's outfit is inspired by a scene early on in the book where the narrator first meets his Auntie Mame.  In the scene, Mame is well into her "Asian influence" period so she's dressed in a full kimono to host a fabulous soiree.  Here is my look:




For this outfit, I layered a kimono-esque thingamajig (I think vintage & I think from the sticky thrift store) over a micro-pleated dress (Goodwill) .  I finished the look with Seychelles "Mum" sandals, some layered necklaces and a vintage rhinestone bracelet:



Mame would, of course, have worn diamonds, but I'm channeling after-the-crash-Mame.


I look skeptical but I was quite excited to be swanning about in this.

I really, really liked this look.  I felt tall and fabulous, but still well within my comfort zone.  Mame was a great believer in authenticity so I think she'd appreciate that my look, while inspired by her, is still very much me.


And now, over to you all.  I can't wait to see what everyone wears!



Not a blogger?  I'd love to see your literature-inspired photos on the Fashion for Giants Facebook Page!

Thank you to everyone who was able to participate; I know it was very short notice.  If you didn't get a chance to join in this time around, you can read more about the Literary Stylings Challenge here and hopefully we'll see you on Tuesday, August 6th!

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

Gracey