Saturday, June 30, 2012

Last Thursday and the Friday Before


I mentioned in my Thursday post that I was going to Last Thursday.  For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s a combination gallery walk/street fair that takes place on the last Thursday of every month.  It’s held on Alberta Street in Northeast Portland and it is, frankly, sort of insane but completely awesome.  It’s one of my absolute favorite things about Portland and we try to go every month during the summer.  Unfortunately, we missed May so June’s Last Thursday was our first. 

And it did not disappoint.  I really can’t explain it, so I’ll just show the pictures and let imagine the smells of Caribbean food, Hawaiian food, grilled corn on the cob, patchouli, sweat and sage.

There are street performers everywhere at Last Thursday, from DJs to vaudevillian circus acts to belly dancers to three-piece bands, like this one:


And snake charmers:


And stilt walkers:



There is also food everywhere, from restaurants to food carts; you can find almost anything you want to eat.  I wanted to eat cream puff swans and mustache cookies from Petite Provence:



Part of the fun of Last Thursday is definitely the people watching:

Even babies love Last Thursday


I'm pretty sure those hats are made of wood...


Head scarves and moon boots

But, my favorite part of this particular Last Thursday was this fire dancer:




 And these air squid:



I also wanted to share pictures from the 90s party Alex and I went to a week ago.  She went with Designing Women 90s, I went with grunge 90s:



Our Back Porch Cat, Jethro, just went as himself.

I hope you’re all having a fabulous weekend!

Gracey